A user journey map helps businesses understand various stages of the customer journey from first contact to purchase and retention.
A customer journey map tracks a user in the following four stages:
- Reach: When the prospect becomes aware of the brand through their own research or through targeted ads.
- Acquisition: Then when the prospect tries out the product or the service and becomes a lead. In this phase, brands nurture them till purchase.
- Purchase: The lead becomes a paying customer.
- Retention: Here, the business ensures that the user experience of the customer is good so that they keep returning. This is why it is also known as the user experience map.
By monitoring different stages of the customer journey map for the business you can:
- Understand your customer’s requirements accurately.
- Adopt a customer-first business model.
- Attract a qualified audience to your site.
- Make your product(s)/service(s) better.
You can build a customer journey map in three simple steps
Build a user journey map in three steps
1. Setting goals and collecting data
- Finalize the scope of the user journey map that you aim to create. Is it narrow or broad? For example, targeting to minimize the churn on a page is a narrow goal but strategizing the purchase pipeline is a broad one.
- Find out what data you need to gather to measure the usability of the user journey map with your team. Keep the value proposition, mission, and vision of your organization in mind as well.
Monitor the metrics that you have finalized in the previous step and collect data. You can use free user analytics tool like GA4 to collect visitor data and an in-depth user tracking tool like Webmaxy to gather behavioral data.
2. Understand your target audience
- Use the data collected with a customer journey mapping tools with your team and start outlining the customer journey map.
- Implement an empathy map canvas to get insights and actionable feedback from your internal team that will help you build/improve the customer journey map.
Carve summaries from the empathy map canvas and enter them into a customer journey template. Modify the template accordingly so it fits your current requirements.
3. Adapt and improve your strategy
- Digitize the user journey map so that it can be shared with relevant members of the organization.
- Decide improvements in processes and workflows to be adopted in terms of methodology, tactic, strategy, or tools.
Repeat step 3 to keep iterating and improving.
One of the most crucial aspects of building a useful customer journey map is collecting the right data to feed into the customer journey mapping tools.
Let’s take a look at how you can gather the visitors’ data that will help you create the user journey map.
How webmaxy helps you build a customer journey map
Webmaxy is a customer and visitor tracking tool that helps you collect behavioral data. The insights from that will assist you to find what your prospects want in terms of content and web experience, services, etc., so you can create a useful customer journey map.
Here are the three insights you can gather with a user tracking tool like Webmaxy.
1. Where they click
When you get traffic to your site, they should click on the buttons and fill out the forms that you want them to. This will help them find and get content that will be useful to them. Down the road, they will become leads, or make a purchase.
Heatmaps are a visual representation of where your visitors click when they get on your website. Navigate to Analyze>Heatmap and click on the “Create a heatmap” button at the top right. Follow the on-screen instructions and let Webmaxy collect behavioral data for some time.
Click on the red play button to see the heatmap.
You can change the range of dates at the top-right and the browsing device of the traffic at the top center. Through this, you infer the interests of your prospects and visitors which will help you build a better customer journey map.
2. What do the prospects do
The scroll rate, the motion of the mouse pointer, the section of an article where the visitor spends time, etc., will tell you how relevant your content is and whether it is having the desired impact on your prospects.
Webmaxy delivers an easy solution to track that. You can record the live sessions of your visitors to find out how impactful your content and web experience are in terms of directing user actions.
Navigate to Analyze>Sessions.
Details like the location of the user, the session time, and the browsing device details are also available. To watch the recordings, click on the red play button.
You can add personal notes to identify the areas of improvement for useful customer journey mapping as you watch the recording.
3. Testing conversion funnels
Let’s say a visitor lands on one of your blog articles. In order to become a lead, they have to submit the form on one of your landing pages so that you can start nurturing them through a drip campaign.
The sequence of user actions that you want your visitor to take so that they become a lead is called a conversion funnel. This is the heart of any user journey map.
If you have conversion funnels or are testing new ones out, you can examine their efficiency with Webmaxy. By tracking the drop-off at each step, you can find the weak points you need to improve on your customer journey map.
To create conversion funnels in Webmaxy and track their performance, navigate to Analyze>Funnels in the left menu.
4. Reviews from your customers and users
The last piece of data this user tracking tool helps you to collect is how your visitors and customers see you. You can set up a feedback survey with Webmaxy in minutes by following the following steps.
Navigate to Engage>Surveys and click on “Create a new survey” at the top right corner. You can either choose a customer journey template or create a survey from scratch.
Webmaxy has lots of templates for multiple use cases which will save you a lot of time and labor.
After selecting a customer journey template, set the questions for the survey and options for their answers.
After that, you can choose the conditions in which it will pop up.
Customer journey mapping is crucial as it helps organizations improve their services while saving resources. You can build a customer journey map by following the three simple steps:
- Finalize the goals and collect behavioral data
- Build the map with your team based on collected data
- Modify your user map and keep iterating
Webmaxy helps you gather all the data you need to make your user journey map accurate.
Create a free account now and uncover deep insights about your audience.