The Australian Work & Working Holiday Visa allows citizens of certain countries to enter Australia for up to one year, with the opportunity to work part-time, full-time, or volunteer as they travel around the country. If you're considering taking a gap year and exploring Australia, you may wonder how to get this visa and what it covers.

This article covers everything you need to know about the Australian Work & working holiday visa 417, including how to apply and the types of jobs you can get while you're there.

What is Australian Work & Working Holiday Visa?

The Australian Work & Working Holiday Visa is a visa that allows people from certain countries to work and travel in Australia for up to one year. To be eligible, you must be between 18 and 31, have a valid passport, and meet other requirements. Once you have the visa, you can work in any type of job for any employer in Australia.

You'll need to apply for a work visa. The most common type of work visa is the Skilled Independent Visa, which allows you to live and work in Australia indefinitely. However, if you're under 31 years of age, you may also be eligible for a working holiday visa 417, which allows you to stay in Australia for up to 12 months.


To be eligible for the work and holiday visa, you must:

  • *Be a citizen of an eligible country.
  • *Be aged between 18 and 31
  • *Have a letter of support from your government
  • *Meet the character requirements
  • *Have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Australia (you can use the funds saved up on your working holiday)
  • *Have a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase one in case they are required by immigration authorities
  • *Pay all fees associated with the application process.

How to apply for a Work & Working Holiday Visa?

To apply for the Australian Work and Holiday Visa 462 & Working Holiday Visa, you must:

  1. Be at least 18 years old but not yet 31.
  2. Have a passport from an eligible country.
  3. Meet the character requirements.
  4. Have enough money to support yourself during your stay (about AUD$5,000).
  5. Show that you have health insurance for your stay in Australia. 
  6. Provide evidence of travel funds of about AUD$4,500 for a return or onward fare and proof of sufficient funds to cover living expenses for the first part of your stay (approximately two weeks). 
  7. Demonstrate you will leave Australia before your visa expires and don't intend to work illegally in any other country while on this visa 
  8. Fill out the application form and provide supporting documents

Documents Required

To apply for the Australian Work & Working Holiday Visa, 

  • *You will need a valid passport, 
  • *A completed application form, 
  • *Proof of financial means, and 
  • *A return ticket or proof of onward travel. 
  • *You may also be required to provide additional documents, such as a CV, cover letter, or evidence of professional qualifications.

The working holiday visa 417 has been designed for those aged 18-30 who are either seeking Work in Australia or want to explore the country on a leisurely basis. It allows young people from outside Australia to spend up to 12 months working, traveling, volunteering, and studying in Australia with limited restrictions on their activity while there.