According to the MRFR analysis, the global mercaptan market size was valued at USD 1,649.96 million in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 2,693.57 million by 2030 at a CAGR of 5.35%.
Mercaptan is a complex industrial sector influencing almost every sphere of life. Mercaptan are chemical derivatives of thiochemicals. They are made from the hydrogen sulfide, ethylene, methanol and propene. Mercaptan are broadly classified into these types—methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercaptan, propyl mercaptan, butyl mercaptan, octyl mercaptan and dodecyl mercaptan. Mercaptan is finding wide application in the oil & gas industry as a catalyst activator in the desulfurization process of gasoline and diesel to meet the growing regulation relating to the sulfur content of fuels across various countries to keep a controlled check on emission levels The mercaptan industry links the downstream industries such as construction, and automotive with the upstream oil & gas, plastic and agrochemicals industries.
The global Mercaptan Market share is highly fragmented and consists of many organized and unorganized industry players. Manufacturers focuses mainly on expansion of production capacities, continuous product launch, and collaborations with key stakeholders to gain a competitive advantage over other players. Key players include Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC., ARKEMA, Huntsman International LLC., Evonik, TORAY FINE CHEMICALS CO., LTD., and Jiande Xingfeng Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Methyl Mercaptan: Methyl Mercaptan, more commonly known as methanethiol, is an organosulfur compound that contains sulfur. Methyl mercaptan is a colorless, flammable gas found in coal tar and petroleum. Methanethiol is also found in some foods such as onion, radish, nuts, cheese, and asparagus.
- Ethyl Mercaptan: Ethyl Mercaptan is, also known as ethanethiol, are organ sulfur compound with a distinct odor, ethyl mercaptan in high concentration is highly toxic. It is added to odorless gases such as butane, propane, and petroleum. Ethyl mercaptan acts as a warning odor. Ethanethiol is also used to manufacture fungicides, pharmaceutical products, insecticides, resins, and other chemicals.
- Propyl Mercaptan: Propyl Mercaptan, also known as propanetriol, is an organic compound. It is a colorless liquid with a strong and offensive odor. Propanetriol is slightly soluble with water and is moderately toxic and highly flammable. It is used in feedstock for insecticides. It is also used extensively in food and nutrition applications, specifically in the agrochemical industry. Propyl mercaptan is primarily used in essential products for growing crops, raising livestock, and maintaining fertility in the land.
- Butyl Mercaptan: Butyl Mercaptan, more commonly known as butanethiol, is a yellow color volatile odor liquid. Butyl mercaptan is a highly toxic chemical compound and can create serious health issues for humans and animals. Butyl mercaptan is highly flammable and can catch fire easily. It is primarily used in cotton defoliants and stink bombs. They are also used as an additive in certain foods to enhance flavor.
- Octyl Mercaptan: Octyl Mercaptan, also known as 1-Octanethiol, is an organic compound. It is a white color liquid with a mild odor. Octyl mercaptan is used to improve charge injection by creating a monolayer of this material on gold source-drain electrode surfaces for bottom-contact thin-film transistors (TFTs).
- Dodecyl Mercaptan: Dodecyl Mercaptan, also known as 1-Dodecanethiol, is utilized as a reactant in producing antioxidants, reducing the negative effects of processes like tin stabilization. Dodecyl mercaptan is mostly used to produce plastic, drugs, and the rubber industry.
- Others: The others segment covers hexyl mercaptan, nony mercaptan, benzyl mercaptan, and furfuryl mercaptan.
- Pesticides: Mercaptan is used in pesticides, majorly as an odorant. Primarily, it is used to produce methionine, which is used as an intermediate in producing pesticides and fungicides. It has a strong odor and is not harmful to humans in smaller quantities. It is widely used in pesticides and fungicides. The strong odor of mercaptan helps increase the odor of pesticides which distract pests from the crops.
- Jet Fuels and Plastics: Mercaptan is utilized as a chemical intermediary in the production of jet fuel and various polymers. Like other applications, Mercaptan is not used as an odorant in jet fuel to detect leakage but Mercaptan is used in the jet fuel manufacturing process
- Natural Gas: As natural gas is non-corrosive, mercaptan is highly used in natural gas as an additive. The major use of mercaptan in natural gas is that humans can detect in case of leakage. The use of mercaptan as an additive in LPG is growing. It helps add odor to natural gas, which is highly beneficial in reducing gas leakages. With the growing demand for LPG cylinders across urban areas worldwide, mercaptan as an additive is expected to witness a rising demand in the forecasted period.
- Food and Nutrition: Mercaptan is used majorly in the production of methionine. The major advantage of methionine is that it can convert sulphur containing molecules. methionine can help in tissue protection in animals and humans. Methionine is the amino acid that acts as a building block and makes proteins. It is an essential element in dietary supplements. Besides food and beverage additives, mercaptan is also used in alcoholic beverages, baked goods, fats & oils, frozen dairy, gelatins, pudding, meat products, soft candy, and nonalcoholic beverages.
- Animal Feed: Mercaptan is used in the synthesis of amino acid methionine. Methionine is the type of amino acid which are found in foods. It is used as an additive in the dietary supplement in the poultry and animal feed industry. It is also essential for producing pesticides, fungicides, and animal feed additives.
- Others: The others segment covers mercaptans are used in health & hygiene, pharmaceuticals, dyes & inks.
- North America: The growth in the North America mercaptan market is mainly attributed to the shale gas discoveries in the US and Canada, which has significantly increased the supply of natural gas liquids, transforming North America into a low-cost region for the production of chemicals
- Europe: Implementing The growth in this region can be mostly attributed to technological advancements.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific is expected to emerge as the fastest-growing regional market due to various factors such as increasing government investment focused on agrochemicals production. China and India are anticipated to dominate the Asia-Pacific market over the forthcoming years.
- Latin America: The growing demand is due to the rise in industrialization and urbanization in major countries.
- Middle East & Africa: Increase in government investments is fueling the demand for mercaptan in the region.